Thursday, April 22, 2010

Inspiration: Toland Grinnell

Toland & Roman

Three years ago, while I was living in Boston, I remember flipping through Cookie Magazine at Borders and stopping at this picture. The article was about Toland Grinnell's search for the perfect Dad bag (Jack Spade's Dad Backpack filled that void for me), but what interested me the most was the cool effortlessness that he displayed in the photograph above. Grinnell mentioned in the side article that he wears Lacoste polos on weekends as a sort of uniform and that he wears them in every color. We all fall into a pattern of wearing some sort of uniform to work or on the weekends, but I love the fact that Grinnell isn't afraid to get his dirty. Raising children is a dirty job but who says you can't look good while doing it. 

Grinnell Exhibit

 The New York Times on Toland Grinnell's work.

8 comments:

  1. Found you through Social Climbers! You are darling and I am so excited to be a new follower of yours!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. @2PreppyGirls.com
    Awww. Thanks!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the subject of Dadbags... I just got a Saddleback leather co. briefcase.

    It, with its 100 year warranty, is by far the COOLEST thing I own. Not just Dadd bag but 100% awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/79-Briefcases/products/1646-Leather-Briefcase-Dark-Coffee-Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. @brohammas
    Very Nice! It's reminds me of Sean Connery's briefcase in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. exactly! Funny you say that since thats where I got the inspiration for my notebook (the one featured on my "notebok" tab on my site.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad bag was an old Jeep bag I stole from work. He makes it look all to easy.

    ReplyDelete