Thursday, October 14, 2010

Archives: My Andy Spade Clippings

Esquire March 2003

The day I picked up the March issue of Esquire in 2003 was the day I found my style icon: Andy Spade
I like my clothing with character. Things that have been lived in --imperfect and with stories.
-Andy Spade

I'm a firm believer that inspiration for style can come from anywhere. For me, the bolt of lighting struck not when I obtained a copy of TOPH as an undergrad but during my first year in Cambridge, Ma at a newsstand. As I stood in Harvard Square flipping through the March issue of Esquire back in 2003, I paused when I came across a picture of a man standing on a chair with a smug look and a great blazer. Something about the picture and his witty words about style and his Jack Spade label spoke to me. Right then and there, I decided to do some research on Andy Spade and make him my style icon.


The GQ issue that I picked up six months later only solidified my choice in Spade as my style icon. From Desert boots to monogrammed belt buckles, this one page article served as my secret style guide for pulling together looks that never went out of style. And six years later, Spade's style would serve as the inspiration for my blog as seen in my first post


Whenever I need inspiration, I always find myself going back to these articles. This is where it all started.


Editor's note: I'm currently in the process of scanning my favorite magazine clipping that inspired me over the years. Be on the lookout for more posts in the Archives section.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I remember reading that GQ article on a plane. My favorite part was his answer 'Bic Pen'. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good post, it is so good to hear *other* sources of inspiration. :)

    Hope your Friday is fab,
    tp

    ReplyDelete